Precinct 5 offers a ride along program to select individuals, affording them the opportunity to ride with and observe an on-duty deputy during their shift. This program is not open to the general public, but is reserved for those who have been approved based on specific circumstances. Examples of these include, but are not limited to:
Attendance or recent graduate in a state licensed police academy.
Made application with Precinct 5 for a Deputy position.
Alumni of the Pct. 5 Citizens Police Academy.
Member of the media developing a story requiring a ride along.
Required as part of the curriculum for a criminal justice major.
All requests for a ride along are evaluated on a case by case basis and must be approved by the Captain over patrol prior to a deputy being assigned to conduct the ride along. To be considered, you must first have an approved and verifiable reason to want to ride with one of our deputies. You must then complete the application, sign a waiver of liability form, and submit to and pass a background check.
When this has been completed, your request packet will be forward to the Captain over patrol for approval. You will then be contacted once a decision has been made. If approved, you will be given the opportunity to decide what day and shift you would like to ride.
RIDE ALONG CHECK LIST
- Submit online request. (By submitting a request you are agreeing to a background check being conducted.)
- Download the Waiver of Liability form from this site. Fill out and submit the waiver of liability, along with a copy of your drivers license. This can be emailed to email@example.com, or faxed to (832) 927-6812, attn. Ride Along.
- Once the application is processed, you will be contacted regarding its status.
- PLEASE READ GUIDELINES FOR A RIDE ALONG PRIOR TO ARRIVING ON YOUR SCHEDULED DATE.
- You will need to arrive at our command station located at 17423 Katy Freeway, Houston, TX, 77094, 30 minutes prior to the start of your shift. Once you are in the parking lot, call our dispatch at (281) 463-6666 and let them know you are here for a ride along, and provide them the name of your assigned deputy.
GUIDELINES FOR A RIDE ALONG
Dress will be business casual.
Shirt may be button up or pull over but it must have a collar.
Slacks of a neutral color. (Beige, gray, blue, black, brown, etc.)
Closed toe shoes or boots.
No jeans, shorts, dresses, t-shirts, sandals.
If you arrive for a ride along outside of the dress requirements you will not be allowed to ride.
Rules for a Ride Along:
Absolutely no weapon of any type is allowed to be carried by an observer during their ride along. This includes Handgun License holders. If you are a current commissioned Peace Officer of any state you must declare whether or not you intend to carry a pistol on the ride along, and it must be approved by the Captain over patrol, and be carried in a concealed manner.
Due to security issues regarding scenes and information, no audio, visual, or photography recording is allowed. An observer may take pictures with the patrol car and deputy at the station, prior to or at the end of the shift only.
While riding with a Pct. 5 deputy it is as an observer only. You will be required to remain inside the patrol vehicle, unless the deputy determines the scene is safe enough for you to exit. If you are allowed to exit and observe the scene more closely, you will need to remain a background observer. Do not engage with any witnesses, suspects, subjects, or even the deputy while they are handling the scene. You are there as an observer only.
There is no smoking in any Precinct 5 vehicle or facility.
Take direction from and follow all instructions of the deputy you are assigned to. Failure to follow these policies will result in termination of the ride along and could result in disqualification from being able to ride with Pct. 5 in the future.